JACKSONVILLE, Ill. (WICS/WRSP) — The Jacksonville Area Museum will host “Voices and Votes: Democracy in America,” an exhibit from the Smithsonian Institution, in 2021.
Illinois Humanities selected six host organizations to participate in the Illinois tour of “Voices and Votes,” including:
- April 17-May 29, 2021: General John A. Logan Museum, Murphysboro
- June 5-July 17, 2021: Madison County Historical Society, Edwardsville
- July 24-September 4, 2021: Savanna Museum and Cultural Center, Savanna
- September 11-October 23, 2021: Bryan-Bennett Library, Salem
- October 30-December 11, 2021: Jacksonville Area Museum, Jacksonville
- December 18, 2021-January 29, 2022: Vespasian Warner Public Library District, Clinton
The selections were made through a two-step application process; 22 institutions applied in the first round, and 13 were invited to proceed to the second round.
Illinois Humanities selected the hosts based on criteria such as:
- the applicant’s organizational capability
- its potential to benefit from the experience and the learning and growth opportunities associated with it
- its preliminary plans to companion exhibitions and public programs
- the suitability of its venue
- the likelihood of community support and participation
- geographic distribution
Preference was also given to institutions in communities with fewer than 25,000 residents.
The Jacksonville Area Museum is currently being developed in the old Post Office building in downtown Jacksonville. It is expected to open in late 2020 or early 2021.
Photo via Pixabay