Beecher Hall, which was built in 1829-30 and originally was known as the College Building, is the only structure remaining on the Illinois College campus that would have been familiar to New Salem friends of Abraham Lincoln, several of whom, including David Rutledge, William Berry, Harvey Ross and William and Lynn Greene, attended IC in the 1830s. The New Salem residents most likely studied and prayed within Beecher Hall’s walls, because in the early days of IC, the building contained a classroom, a library, a chapel and a dormitory. Beecher Hall was named after Edward Beecher, the first president of IC, in 1888.
Illinois College Campus, off Lockwood Place. The building is near the McGaw Center for the Performing Arts.